Project Estimator is responsible for preparing complete estimates for assigned heavy highway, structures and heavy civil project(s) of medium to large size and varying complexity. Strong interpersonal and communication skills will be essential since this Project Estimator will work closely with Project Owners, Vendors, Subcontractors, Project Managers, Accounting, and Chief Estimator.
Job Responsibilities Include:
• Reinforces the compliance of field safety regulations by all field personnel.
• Review proposal specifications, drawings, attend pre-bid meetings, etc., to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
• Provide initial client contact to assess scope of work and resources required to successfully complete project estimate. Assist in making the "sale".
• Review and incorporate relevant historical data from purchase orders, subcontracts, productivity analysis (VitalFactors) reports, etc., to gather unit and man hour data.
• Prepare complete estimate for selected project with detailed review of proposal specifications, drawings, takeoff information, contracting, etc.
• Coordinate total estimating effort relevant to particular bid/project as assigned.
• Maintain files of working documents as back-up for estimate figures.
• Interface with project owner/customer, A/E, and other contractors to provide engineering and cost data regarding project feasibility- ensure project is constructed in accordance with design, budgeted and schedule.
• Follow awarded contracts as assigned – may include estimating/pricing extra work items, change orders, credits; procuring material, etc.
• Provide technical assistance (interpretation of drawings, recommending construction methods, and equipment, etc., as required).
• Maintains continuity among corporate, division, and local work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
• Experience presenting to and coordinating senior level meetings, including preparation of agendas, documenting meeting minutes, sending out documents to attendees.
• Drives the early identification and introduction of construction estimating best practices which effect cost and time-to-completion, enhance quality, adherence to local and national codes, and engineering/architectural enhancements that minimize the need for change orders. Shares such best practices with peers and supervisor for potential system-wide adoption.
• Collaborate with and may function as the construction cost estimating subject matter expert on teams focused on value engineering, cost reduction, and/or enhancements to operational efficiency.