This position will operate excavators and is responsible for excavating ditches and structures, laying pipe and precast concrete structures, loading trucks and placing rock riprap.
Equipment - Hitachi ZX 350, Caterpillar 336EL, and John Deere 350Gs.
• 2+ years' experience operating heavy equipment is required. Depending on the equipment more specialized skills/knowledge/experience may be required such as grade control systems, adhering to inspection guidelines, blade control systems, hydraulic attachments, etc.
• Knowledge of construction practices.
• Knowledge to oil, grease and service and make adjustments to equipment as needed is preferred.
• Knowledge of proper signals for work.
• Prior experience within the heavy civil construction industry is strongly preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the Operator maybe exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration on a regular basis. The Operator is frequently exposed to high, precarious places or outside weather conditions. The Operator can be exposed to fumes or airborne particles and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud. While performing the essential functions of this job, the Operator is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, reach with hands and arms, lift above their head, and talk or hear, smell or taste. The Operator is required to kneel, crouch or stoop, climb ladders, bend at the waist, squat, and crawl in tight or confined spaces to perform the essential functions. The Operator must regularly lift and /or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Ascending and descending ladders or stairs is required, and movement on uneven terrain is occasionally required to carry out essential duties. The Operator will spend their time on the physical job site. This position is exposed to high temperatures; cool/cold temperatures; and loud noises. Work in the construction area poses significantly greater risk due to moving construction equipment and active construction zones with trip and fall hazards.
Attention to deadlines and finishes assigned tasks on time with high standards of quality.
• Excellent housekeeping skills.
• Ability to work with various measurements which include metric, feet and hundredths.
• Communication: Excellent interpersonal communication and team work skills are necessary as proper completion of an assigned job and working safe will be highly dependent upon this ability.
• Flexibility: Ability to work in a number of diverse locations is pertinent, as work locations may change daily.
• Coordination: Balance, depth perception and eye-hand coordination are critical.
• Expected Hours: Hours will vary by job, location and season. Working a night shift may be required.
• Willing to travel and must be able to supply their own transportation.